Eating vegan doesn’t mean you have to miss out on all the delicious snacks that you love—like Gold Fish! That’s right, you can still enjoy this childhood classic snack, but this time it’s 100% plant-based. In this blog post, we’ll teach you how to make vegan-friendly Gold Fish that will satisfy your cravings without any animal products. Let’s dive in!
Ingredients for Vegan Gold Fish
Making vegan Gold Fish is surprisingly easy, and you likely already have most of the ingredients in your pantry. Here’s what you’ll need:
-1 cup all-purpose flour
-1 teaspoon baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-1/2 cup vegan butter
-1/3 cup plant-based milk
-1 tablespoon dijon mustard
-1 teaspoon garlic powder
-1 teaspoon smoked paprika
-1/2 teaspoon onion powder
-1/2 cup vegan cheese
-1/2 cup nutritional yeast
-1/2 cup plain vegan yogurt
Instructions for Vegan Gold Fish
Now that you’ve gathered your ingredients, it’s time to start cooking! Here’s how to make vegan Gold Fish:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. Add the vegan butter to the dry ingredients and blend with a hand mixer until the mixture is crumbly.
4. Pour in the plant-based milk, dijon mustard, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and onion powder. Mix all the ingredients together until a soft, pliable dough forms.
5. Roll the dough out into a rectangle, about 1/4-inch thick.
6. Spread the vegan cheese, nutritional yeast, and vegan yogurt over the dough, then roll up the dough until you have one large log.
7. Cut the log into 1-inch-thick slices, then use a Gold Fish cookie cutter to cut out the Gold Fish shapes.
8. Place the Gold Fish onto the baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the edges begin to turn golden brown.
9. Let the Gold Fish cool, then enjoy!
Tips for Making the Perfect Vegan Gold Fish
If you want your vegan Gold Fish to turn out perfectly delicious, keep these tips in mind:
-For an extra cheesy flavor, add an extra tablespoon of vegan cheese to the dough.
-If you don’t have a Gold Fish cookie cutter, simply use a knife to cut the log into slices, then shape each slice into a fish shape.
-For a spicier flavor, add a pinch of red pepper flakes to the dough.
-For an even more flavorful dough, substitute vegan Parmesan cheese for the vegan cheese.
-You can store the Gold Fish in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Vegan Gold Fish may sound complicated to make, but with a few simple ingredients and a little bit of patience, you can enjoy this classic childhood snack—without any animal products! With these tips, you can make vegan Gold Fish that are sure to be a hit with your family and friends. So, give these vegan snacks a try today!
I’m Brooke, and I love being vegan. I know all there is to know about the vegan lifestyle, and I love sharing that knowledge with others.
I own a vegan restaurant in Boston, and I love helping people make the switch to a plant-based diet. It’s not always easy, but it’s definitely worth it!