Cookies have been a staple of the home-baked treat world for centuries, providing comfort to sugar-loving children and adults alike. Whether you’re baking up a batch of classic chocolate chip cookies, or getting creative with fun flavors, there’s always something exciting and satisfying when it comes to cookies. This time around, we’ll be creating a vegan version of a timeless classic—Molasses Cookies!
What You’ll Need
Before we get started, here’s a list of ingredients needed:
-¾ cup vegan butter
-½ cup brown sugar
-¼ cup molasses
-2 tablespoons flaxseed meal or chia seeds
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-2¼ cups all purpose flour
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1 teaspoon ground ginger
-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-¼ teaspoon ground cloves
-¼ teaspoon salt
-½ cup vegan sugar (for rolling)
Now that we have everything we need, let’s get started! Preheat your oven to 350°F.
1. In a large bowl, cream together vegan butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add molasses, flaxseed meal (or chia seeds), and vanilla extract, and continue to mix until fully combined.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.
4. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture, and mix until a soft dough forms.
5. Place the vegan sugar into a shallow bowl. Using a ¾ tablespoon cookie scoop, form dough into balls. Roll each ball in the sugar until completely coated.
6. Place dough balls onto prepared baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches of space between each ball.
7. Bake for 11-12 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned.
8. Allow cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
These cookie are best when they’re enjoyed fresh, but they can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. If you’d like to store them for longer than that, you can freeze them for up to 3 months.
These Molasses Cookies are delicious on their own, but there are a few ways to make them even more special. Try serving them with a dollop of vegan ice cream, warm coconut milk, or your favorite vegan whipped cream. They can also be used as a base for vegan ice cream sandwiches, or crumbled on top of your favorite plant-based desserts!
Each cookie contains roughly:
-Total fat: 6g
-Saturated fat: 3g
-Trans fat: 0g
A Delicious and Versatile Treat
These Molasses Vegan Cookies are a delicious and indulgent treat that all cookie fans will love! With a sweet and spicy flavor, and the perfect amount of crunch, they’re sure to satisfy any sweet tooth. Plus, they’re easy to make and require just a few simple ingredients, making them a great addition to any kitchen. Enjoy them as-is, or dress them up with ice cream or your favorite vegan toppings—the possibilities are endless!
I’m Brooke, and I love being vegan. I know all there is to know about the vegan lifestyle, and I love sharing that knowledge with others.
I own a vegan restaurant in Boston, and I love helping people make the switch to a plant-based diet. It’s not always easy, but it’s definitely worth it!